This position will be responsible for assisting the physicians in performing their duties and carrying out the necessary functions. This includes making appointments, monitoring patient flow and adhering to practice schedules. This assistance also includes obtaining vital statistics from the patients, obtaining patient history, helping patients fill out necessary forms, assisting the physicians with their paperwork and reports, helping the physician prepare the room for treatment,cleaning the room for the next patient and to assist in scheduling outside procedures and testing.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Fulfills patient care responsibilities as assigned that may include checking schedules and organizing patient flow; accompanying patients to exam/procedure room; verifying patient information; obtain any necessary information for patients from other institutions, providers, hospitals; charting; relaying instructions to patients/families from the physician’s orders; answering calls, routing calls and taking messages; perform appointment reconciliations and confirms patients appointments on a daily basis or as necessary and update on the master schedule.
- Fulfills clerical responsibilities as assigned that may include sending/receiving/filing patient medical records; obtaining lab/X-ray reports, hospital notes, referral information, data entry, etc.; completing forms/requisitions as needed; scheduling appointments; scheduling surgical procedures; verify insurance coverage and patient demographics; manage and update charts to ensure that information is complete and filed appropriately and communicates as needed with medical providers and other staff about any patient concerns/issues related to scheduling and review patient task listing on a daily basis.
- Prepares patients for examination by having them dress in a gown when necessary and performing preliminary tests, such as weight, height, pulse, blood pressure, etc.
- Prepares the room for the necessary procedures by getting any medical equipment or injections prepped for the physician.
- Ensuring that the exam rooms are adequately stocked with the necessary supplies for the physicians and placing orders when new supplies are needed.
- Cleaning up the exam rooms in order for the next patient to be seen including but not limited to disposing of medical waste, clean medical equipment, etc.
- Fulfills organizational responsibilities as assigned including respecting/promoting patient rights; responding appropriately to emergency codes; sharing problems relating to patients and/or staff with immediate supervisor and maintain customer service principles and techniques to deal with patients calmly and pleasantly.
- Use practice management software to match medical provider’s availability with patient’s preferences in terms of date and time.
- Maintains scheduling system so records are accurate and complete and can be used to analyze patient/staffing patterns. Provides daily schedules to medical providers prior to each day’s visits.
- Update of the “Five Point Check-List” for evaluations, diagnostics, DME and rehabilitation and Schedule Office Hours.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma and Medical Assistant Certification from an accredited vocational institution or a community college in medical assisting. Must be a certified medical assistant.
Experience: Minimum of 2 years of medical assisting experience in outpatient orthopedics/multi-specialty setting with documented evidence of externship completed in medical office.
- Knowledge of specific assisting task related to particular medical practice.
- Knowledge of healthcare and medical practice protocols related to appointment scheduling.
- Knowledge of medical, anatomy and physiology terminology.
- Knowledge of HIPAA.
- Knowledge of Microsoft
- Ability to communicate effectively with physicians/clinicians about scheduling preferences.
- Skill in tact and diplomacy in interpersonal interactions.
- Ability to produce reports about appointment patterns as needed.
Salary & Benefits:
- $35,000 -$55,000 salary
- Health, dental and vision benefits
- 401K program with employer contribution
- AFLAC benefits available
Edison, NJ and Monroe, NJ